birding-aus

RFI Tropicbirds in Victoria

To: "Tim Dolby" <>, <>, <>
Subject: RFI Tropicbirds in Victoria
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:57:30 +1000
There have been a few more sightings than you list Tim. Roy Wheeler listed two records of Red-tailed Tropicbirds in his Handlist of the Birds of Victoria published by VORG in 1967 but none of White-tailed. I've seen one Red-tailed from Cape Schanck since that was published. Emison et al. 1987 Atlas of Victorian Birds list one record of Red-tailed during the first Atlas. They give the status of White-tailed Tropicbird as rare vagrants to pelagic waters off Victoria and list three records during the period of the first Atlas. A ship I was on enroute to Sydney flushed one off the sea in Bass Strait on 22 March 1987 south of Lakes Entrance. There was a spate of records in Eastern Australia at that time following a cyclone including one ashore at Lakes Entrance on 15 March 1978 that later died. Since the Brighton Pier report followed shortly after the one that crash-landed in the main street of Leongatha I think that it possibly a good record.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136