birding-aus

RFI: Birding in KL

To: Judith Hoyle <>, Helen Larson <>
Subject: RFI: Birding in KL
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 03:14:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Judith,

KL is a great city with some great, easy birding to be had within 7 hours
(perhaps 3-4 hours to allow a very safe 3 hours for travel, customs, check back
in, etc.).

Coastal areas are harder so I would recommend the following:
 - get the KLIA express to KL Sentral which is in the heart of KL. It only
takes 30 minutes and is by far the fastest and cheapest way to the city (I have
been to KL several times and have only recently discovered this!).
 - then get a metered red taxi to one of the following locations:
1. Forest Research Institute of Malaysia or FRIM. It is about 15kms away from
KL city centre and is part of Bukit Lagong Forest Reserve (some people have
seen hornbills here). It is an amazing forest reserve so close to the city. Get
the taxi to wait for you if you can without the meter on (most drivers will be
happy to do this for a trip back to the airport). There is a small entry fee.
Spend 2-3 hours here. I go here most times I a in KL.
2. Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve which is in the centre of KL. Small rainforest
reserve which can be busy but you will see more than 7 new species.
3. Lake Gardens. Nice mostly man made park with lakes. You will see some waders
here (you can't tick birds you see at the nearby Bird Park though!)
4. Templer Park (I have not been here but is about 20kms noth of the city).

Get back to KL Sentral and you will be back at KLIA within 30 mins or so for
your flight to Borneo.

Cheers,
Charles Hunter