birding-aus

Honeyeater migration

To: Claire Runge <>, <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:21:03 +1000
Hi Claire,

Yes, they certainly do still migrate in these sort of numbers (and at times even higher) through the NSW Blue Mountains, though there is huge day-to-day variation according to weather and also, much year-to-year variation. This autumn for the first time we had a team of volunteers from Blue Mountains Bird Observers counting at key sites for the six week period of the migration, and we plan to continue this every autumn. However the migration was very small this year through the mountains with the numbers nowhere near what they are in many years.

2006 was a massive year with numbers as great as I'd ever seen (having lived in a house in Katoomba which is directly under a major autumn migration route for about 25 years). I kept a diary that autumn which can be read at: http://www.bmbirding.com.au/diary06.html It gives some idea of the enormous numbers of these birds that stream through on some mornings.

In addition, general information on the honeyeater migration which I put together at the same time is at: http://www.bmbirding.com.au/hemig.html

One of the key factors for the Blue Mountains' listing as an IBA was being a migration bottleneck for Yellow-faced Honeyeaters. It is hoped the formal programme of counting which Blue Mtns Bird Observers have now embarked on will, over time, help to reveal any long-term changes in numbers of these birds. Up to this point there have really only been opportunistic counts on good days (in the Blue Mountains at least, though the Canberra Ornithologists Group have done counts in the past).

It is an absolutely amazing thing to experience if you're lucky enough to see them on a good day.

Cheers,

Carol

Carol Probets
Blue Mountains, NSW