birding-aus

RFI: Victorian Mallee, current conditions etc.

To: <>
Subject: RFI: Victorian Mallee, current conditions etc.
From: Ed Williams <>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:04:34 +0000
Hi all,

I am planning a weekend trip up to the Victorian Mallee next weekend.  My main
mission is to get a mate as many inland birds as possible (their first trip
inland) combined with a few target species for me.

I was planning to go Lake Tyrrell, Bronzewing Reserve and Hattah-Kulkyne and
have checked out Tim Dolby's book, eremaea etc, but wondered if anyone had been
up there recently so would have the up to date info.  Limiting fact or is that
we'll only be in a 2WD so I know a lot of tracks will be out.

5 target species would be Regent Parrot, Rufous Fieldwren, Mallee Emu-wren,
Crested Bellbird, Chestnut Quail-thrush and an outside chance on Striated
Grasswren (although there seem to be no recent reports).

(Love to get Malleefowl and Black-eared miners but I'm not holding my hopes up
there...)

Anyway, any info that anyone can give would be really appreciated.

Thanks all,

Ed Williams
Seddon VIC