birding-aus

Albert's Lyrebird, Mt Tamborine

To: " net. au" <>
Subject: Albert's Lyrebird, Mt Tamborine
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 01:35:15 +1000
In over 20 years living in Brisbane, I have never had the privilege of seeing
an Albert's Lyrebird in full display. I'd come close several times - to the
point of seeing the tips of quivering tail-feathers - but while it's easy
enough to bump into AL's wandering around the tracks of Lamington, and they are
as vocal as their southern cousins, they are notoriously shy and hard to
approach when in display.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I got seriously lucky. After a business engagement on the
Gold Coast, I decided to head up to Mt Tamborine for a short walk. I was
treated to watching a male Albert's singing his heart out from a trampled
platform of vine stems - exactly how the guides always described! - for a full
five minutes, from a distance of about 25 metres. After a time I was able to
approach (very, very quietly) to around 15 metres, but unfortunately I
disturbed him when I got tangled up in a wait-a-while, and he vamoosed.

Nonetheless it was a thrilling encounter. I doubt any Australian birds have got
the proverbial "wow" factor of a lyrebird in full song - anytime you're
fortunate enough to encounter one is invariably a jaw-dropping experience.

Andrew