birding-aus

RFI Rufous Scrubbird

To: Mick Roderick HOME <>, <>, <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: RFI Rufous Scrubbird
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 23:00:59 +1030
Hi Mick, Rob & Joris

Dharug NP is a great site for Glossy Blacks - try Mill Ck camp area (lots of
good casuarina here) or anywhere along Wisemans Ferry Rd anywhere on the north
side of the ferry crossing where it follows the Hawkesbury River - the last
hour before sunset is best when the birds are travelling in small flocks to
their roosting sites. As Mick says, the Watagan Mtns are also good & a pretty
reliable area. If you become familiar with their calls, this will help. They
are like a Red-tailed Blacks' call, but softer & quieter.
But I think with this species, that the hour either side of sunrise & sunset
gives you the best chances of finding them, as the birds are on the move
from/to roost sites/feeding areas.

If you need help in Cairns area, I can help with some good spots up here - just
let me know what target species you're after & I can try to help you...

Why not consider a professional guide up here in FNQ - I can recommend Del
Richards who owns Fine Feather Tours. If you need help finding him, let me
know...

Rob, you are right in saying that the Buff-breasted Button-quails haven't been
seen up here for a few years. You are also very right in saying that BBBQ are
very often mistaken up here for Painted BQ's...
But, I have a good winter record of this species in the winter months - 2 birds
on 9 August 2004 at Mt Mulligan, a new site for this largely unknown &
enigmatic species. This record was corroberated by another competent birder at
the same site a fortnight later.
However Joris, this is a species that will be (& has been so far) an extremely
difficult bird to find this year, with the still too lush conditions (from
especially this past wet season & the last couple) not providing the right
habitat at their traditional sites for a while now...

Joris, you are certainly on the right track in talking to both Rob & Mick about
current spots for the Rufous Scrub-bird, as these 2 guys have a lot of good
local knowledge about this species in each of their respective regions.

Bell Miners you will find are very easy to find when, like Rob says, you know
their distinctive call.

Good luck & I'm happy to help if you need it...

Cheers

Martin Cachard
Cairns
0428 782 808