birding-aus

RFI - Bass Strait Crossing / Pelagics

To: "'Brian and Meg'" <>, <>
Subject: RFI - Bass Strait Crossing / Pelagics
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 18:06:27 +1000
Hi Brian and Meg,

Bass Strait is really too shallow for many pelagic seabirds - it is
generally only around 26 or 27 fathoms (about 50m), compared to 100 or so
fathoms at the continental shelf break (and much deeper in the oceans, of
course). That being said, it would always be possible to see "some" seabirds
- particularly those have been seen around the Port Phillip Bay heads, and
the nearby coast. That would include species such as Black-browed Albatross,
Shy Albatross, Giant-petrel spp, some Storm-petrels - especially White-faced
- which breeds in Port Phillip Bay, maybe White-chinned Petrel, Short-tailed
Shearwater and so on. Unfortunately, since the ferry moves quite quickly,
and no-one is putting out berley, the chances of the birds coming close
enough for ID are not great.

Good luck!

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria