birding-aus

South Island Pied Oystercatcher SEQ.

To: <>
Subject: South Island Pied Oystercatcher SEQ.
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 11:53:05 +1000

Awesome find guys, well done!

Paul's images are up here: http://birdo.wildiaries.com/species/19581

Just look at the gait of this bird and the size dimensions. These are great
photos. From the last reported candidate for a SIPO, Jeff Davies provided some
information about identification. I've copied it here for general interest:

SIPO cannot be reliably identified on rump pattern alone.SIPO cannot be
reliably identified based on wing bar extent.
              The only way to reliably identify SIPO is on a range of
characteristics, combined with structure and build. The species is:
              Significantly smaller than Pied Oystercatcher.Is relatively
dumpy-looking, on account of it having relatively short legs and long bill.
              For reference, here are two profile shots from Wikimedia Commons:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:South_Island_pied_oystercatcher.JPG
(note short legs and long bill)
              http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pied_Oystercatcher.jpg
(note long legs and short bill)
Incidentally, over 40 people received news of this bird yesterday via SMS.
We're still intent on getting this system moving in the future but for now,
we're providing it as a cost free service. All you need to do now is send us
your mobile number. Email it to  with the state you live in and
your name.

Regards,

Simon.

Simon Mustoe
Tel: +61 (0) 405220830 | Skype simonmustoe | Email

Visit BIRD-O at http://www.bird-o.com
Follow BIRD-O on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/birdodotcom
Like BIRD-O on Facebook? Visit
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Bird-O/117732794921095