birding-aus

Boobook v Hawk-Owl

To: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Subject: Boobook v Hawk-Owl
From: David James <>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 04:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Phil,
I must agree emphatically. Indeed, the IOC broke at least three of its own
guiding principles for English names when it adopted the confusing Rufous
Boobook, the ironic Powerful Boobook, and the absurd Barking Boobook, namely:

4) Established names should prevail;
10) Species in the same genus may have different group names;
And (given that these novel names have been adopted to replace the ONLY
established names [insert very long list of references]):
1) Each species should have one name only

What is more, six species of the genus Ninox retain group name Hawk-Owl,
including N. scutulata. This seems rather inconsistent.

Given their is only one Surnia and one Uroglaux, I don't think the name
Hawk-Owl causes very much confusion. Principle 10 indicates in the fine print
that "The same group name may be applied to two or more unrelated groups (e.g.,
Warbler [Parulidae, Sylviidae] and Robin [Turdidae, Petroicidae,
Erithacus])". In fact, it is a very common scenario and much too established to
change.

The primary goal of the IOC list is stated to be English name stability. No
doubt the project will make good progress in many areas, and is to be widely
applauded. However, the goal is not well served in this example.  Personally, I
would not describe this example as "proactive".

Cheers,
David James
Sydney