birding-aus

birding-aus Digest, Vol 61, Issue 34

To: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Subject: birding-aus Digest, Vol 61, Issue 34
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 20:07:03 +1000
Here in Gloucester mid-north coast NSW we are invaded by Topknot Pigeons in
April and May each year, as in the valleys further north they come for the
camphor laurel and privet fruits. We also have a large population of
White-headed Pigeons, Satin Bowerbirds and Figbirds.  There is little hope
of eliminating these weedy fruiting trees so I don't think the birds will be
threatened.  The river banks are in places thickly lined with privet but we
don't have the number of camphor laurel that the Richmond and Clarence
valleys do, and our council have reduced the number of camphor laurels in
the parks.

However I spend far too much time pulling up seedlings of both species in my
garden, thanks to Pied Currawongs, bowerbirds and White-headed Pigeons, the
latter species is increasing in numbers and remains resident throughout the
year.  The currawongs arrive, like the Topknots,  in April, and cause havoc
with our resident Little Raven population, causing a flurry of friction over
territory rights, until they adjust to each other.

Other species that are increasing are Galahs and Common Mynas.  A friend
reported to day she saw a small hawk (possibly a Hobby) catch and kill a
myna yesterday. Knocked it to the ground and then dispatched it.  Hurrah!