birding-aus

Hissing Barn Owl

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Hissing Barn Owl
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:09:05 +1000
Hi Alan,
found this courtacy of WWW. Many hits listed Hissing Owl as an alternative common name.
May be the answer...

Re: [Owls] Owl hissing

Many thanks Samuel for the suggestion

I have received a lot of good advice from the 'barn owl club' yahoo group to whom I also posted and am following up the idea that I may have two young barn owls begging for food from parents trying to wean them off parental dependency and get them to hunt for themselves. This seems to make sense, but as they have been doing this now for nearly a week and continue calling right through the night for at least 4 hours I am beginning to worry that they might be orphaned.
cheers,
Reg
Hi,

I am looking for some information on Barn Owls.
I am an Englishman living in France where I run my own flying school.
My home is an 18th century former hunting lodge in the Loire area
(middle) of France.
My grounds include 25 acres of woodland and many old barns and we
are rich in bird life.
I have recently discovered 2 barn owls that visit a tree close to
the house, every night.
My attention was drawn to these birds by their continues hissing, I
have never heard anything like it before.
We often hear Owls in the woods, but this constant hissing is new to
me.
They normally start between 11pm and 12 pm and hiss more or less non
stop for most of the night.
Can someone please explain what they are doing and why they hiss
like this.

Initially I thought they may be distressed about something, but they
have gone by morning (probably to one of our barns) and return every
night to the same tree.

Many thanks,

Reg

By the Way, out of 171 sites that came up on my yahoo group search
for 'Owls', I could see only 2 that were actually about owls and
this was one of them, what a mixed bag is the internet !