birding-aus

Scrubwrens following lyrebirds

To: Carol Probets <>
Subject: Scrubwrens following lyrebirds
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:51:17 +1000
Hi all,

As Carol mentioned, the most frequent Lyrebird 'pilot' I've noted are
scrubwrens as well. Sightings referred to are from the Blue Mountains although
further north in the hunter Region e.g. Barrington Tops and the Watagan
Mountains, or only Lyrebird pilots can be scrubwrens.

Funny thing though, is that the very first Pilot bird I ever saw (1985) was at
Evan's Lookout in the Blue Mountains and it was on top of the ridge next to the
path leading to the lookout (Carol you will know how relatively open the
under-storey is there) and it was following a Lyrebird in a manner that was the
definition of its name.

It's taken a long time to realise though that that is exception and not the
rule in our neck of the woods, as I've never seen it repeated.

I wonder if the number of Pilotbird/Lyrebird interactions observed has anything
to do with how confiding both these bird species are in some areas of Victoria?
I was birding in Sherbrooke Forest in 2000 with Andrew Wegener and a pair of
Pilotbirds came out onto the very wide and open path not more than 2m from our
feet, acting much like human habituated scrubwrens. They were very confiding.
Apart from that first Pilotbird encounter and the Sherbrooke birds, my
experiences have always been of skulking Pilotbird individuals in our end of
the range.

Regards

Allan

Allan Richardson