birding-aus

Parakeets Get the Shove in the UK

To: "Birding-Aus Aus" <>
Subject: Parakeets Get the Shove in the UK
From: "Liz" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 08:26:34 +0100
Hi Carl

I'm not quite sure what you mean about "being green". It's about conservation and biodiversity, not about not being "green" and it's hopefully becoming less easy to be a a sentimental "bunny-hugger", blind to the bigger picture, in the UK. The UK signed up to the 1992 UN Convention on Biological Diversity, The Habitats Directive (Europe) and recently signed up to the new UN target set at Nagoya to halt biodiversity loss and restore ecosystems by 2020, plus we have (for the moment -see below), in place many other national and local biodiversity targets. I see absolutely no difference between the UK trying to remove damaging species, and I stress damaging, and the efforts being made in Australian to remove non-natives. We have our fair share of damaging non-natives, the impact of which is probably as serious and significant in our crowded island with little space left for natural and semi-natural habitats and the wildlife they support.

The really important thing to be worrying about in the UK at the moment is not the removal of a relatively small number of individual animals but the new coalition government's "Red Tape Challenge" which is basically looking to remove 278 regulations which protect species, biodiversity, climate and habitats.

Priorities, that's the important thing in these days of austerity. A few parakeets getting the bump is not something worth expending worry on, in my view.

Liz
Cumbria, UK

-----Original Message----- From: Carl Clifford