birding-aus

Records from Chiltern and surrounds 17th-18th April

To: <>, Sean Fitzgerald <>
Subject: Records from Chiltern and surrounds 17th-18th April
From: Paul Rose <>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 11:35:21 +1030
Hi all,

Some sightings from a couple of days in the NE of Victoria with Fitzie and
Hymie.  107 species for the trip over two days and some excellent weather made
for a very enjoyable autumn venture in search of a couple of target species.  A
flock of 8 TURQUOISE PARROT were very obliging on the 18th as we searched along
West Triangle Rd in Chiltern-Mt Pilot NP - the birds spent several hours in the
area taking grit and seeds from the roadside as well as hanging around in the
lush grass adjacent to the creek.  To the north in the paddocks dotted with
boulders a Hooded Robin and Flame Robin competed for attention, with nearby
Red-capped and Scarlet Robin taking turns showing off and singing from the
woodland south of the road. This entire area was very productive and lively,
including a lovely flock of Diamond Firetail showing off beside the turquoise
parrots and quite likely the largest group of Varied Sitella I have encountered
numbering 16 individuals.
Earlier on the 17th, we visited other areas of Chiltern, waking up in Bartley's
Block to the loud calls of hundreds of Red Wattlebirds, Noisy Friarbirds and at
least one pair of Little Friarbirds feeding on the extensive blossom.  8 other
species of honeyeater also kept us looking up.  Highlights of the day included
at least 6 SPECKLED WARBLER amongst a large travelling flock of thornbill
species and red-browed finch along Pine Rd. - beware that we couldn't drive
through due to extensive tree fall and had a difficult time turning around.
The warblers enjoyed feeding around the boulder strewn slopes in this area.  At
Chiltern Dam #2/#1 ?? (the smaller of the two without the bird hide) an
extensive "swallow" flock including Welcome Swallow, Tree Martin, Dusky
Woodswallow, several White-breasted Woodswallow and a single WHITE-BACKED
SWALLOW.
Lake Mokoan was our last stop on the 18th before heading back to Melbourne,
with nice sightings of a flock of Zebra Finch and several flushings of Brown
Quail along Lake Mokoan Rd.  No Plumed Whistling Duck sighted at the old boat
ramp as reported last month on birding-aus.
Great swagging in Chiltern under the starlit nights to the calls of
Owlet-Nightjars. Highly recommended! We will return in the spring and be
looking to add aspects of the park to our twitchathon route as we re-enter the
competition this coming season.

Great birding everyone and good to be back in Australia after many years in
Thailand.
Enjoying our new home in Gherang Hamlet south of Moriac, on 10 acres with
plenty of birdlife and newly acquired Trust for Nature status.

Cheers,

Paul