birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 18 Apr 2011 01:30:29 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 17 Apr 2011.

Fri 15 Apr Black-throated Finch Allan Rd/Barrata Creek, Burdekin
A pair of BTF were seen building a nest about four metres off the ground in a small Leichardt tree in the bed of the Barrata Creek (GPS 19 37 07.2S, 147 12 10.6E). The birds were using dried leaves pecked from a Casuarina tree and fibrous Melaleuca roots pecked from the creek bed to construct the nest. Also in the area were a number of Crimson Finches.
Ian Boyd. Bill Holmes and Russell Mitchell

Square-tailed Kite Townsville (City Area)
Initially circling quite low over Ross Creek around midday and then headed eastwards towards South Townsville--presumably the same individual that I have seen around the city on several occasions.
Niel Bruce

Thu 14 Apr Tawny Grassbird Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
Observer Carol Iles per Keith Fisher. 1st sighting for the year passing through cane fields.
Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge

Barking Owl Palmetum Botanical Garden, Townsville
Pair seen in dense tree, a short distance from the raintrees damaged in TC Yasi. They were being harassed by several smaller species. Regular at the Palmetum but often unreported.
Alexandra Canton

Wed 13 Apr Yellow-billed Spoonbill Garbutt East
In a mixed group of egrets and ibis, at the ephemeral wetlands on the bend of John Melton Black Drive, east of Townsville Airport around 7:30AM. Uncommon in Townsville and the first time I have seen the yellow-billed at this site.
Alexandra Canton

Mon 11 Apr Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher, Victoria's Riflebird, Northern Fantail Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Julatten QLD
2 or 3 Northern Fantails around the lodge grounds, distinguished from Grey Fantail by streaking on chest and calls. One adult male Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher flying across path and disappearing into the forest. Female Victoria's riflebird in a tree. Adult male Yellow-breasted Boatbill seen fairly high in a tree, and a Pied Monarch calling nearby. All seen around driveway into the lodge reception area.
Michael Krippner, David Krippner, Keith Fisher

Sat 9 Apr Great-billed Heron Daintree River
A Great-billed Heron was sighted on an early-morning cruise on the Daintree River with Chris Dahlberg. When we approached it, it flew off high up into a tree, then flew off again. Later on, on our way back, we saw it for the second time. Other birds seen include: Double-eyed Fig-parrot, Black Bittern, Little Bronze-cuckoo (Heard), plenty of Azure Kingfishers and Large-billed Gerygone.
David, Michael and Ross Krippner, Jocelyne Pegoretti & Chris Dahlberg

Thu 7 Apr Spinifex Pigeon Granite Gorge Nature Park (12 km W of Mareeba)
7th April 2011 My wife and I went to Granite Gorge Nature Park particularly to see the Mareeba Rock Wallabies. While we were looking at a couple of Squatter Pigeons in the camping ground, we then noticed two Spinifex Pigeons milling around. We followed them around the grounds for about 10 minutes and then watched them disappear into the scrub. The vegetation at Granite Gorge includes exposed Granite boulders and dry scrub with some ground cover. But, the area surrounding Granite Gorge seems to be mainly farmland. The sighting was on Thursday 7th April 2011 at about 12:30pm
Maarten and Robyn Hulzrbosch (Per Len & Chris Ezzy, Birdline NQ)

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.