birding-aus

Mangrove Kingfisher

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Mangrove Kingfisher
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 00:56:29 +1030

G'day guys

The bird photographed in Tom's garden is certainly a Sacred Kingfisher, not a
Collared (formerly named as Mangrove in Aust).

The spot before the eye in Collared KF is always whiter than Sacred, & like
Greg says, usually appears as a spot rather than a patch thinning toward the
eye & therefore forming a brow. The bird photographed to my mind is a classic
freshly-plumaged adult Sacred KF.

Other features to help rule out Collared from Sacred include, amongst others,
non-clean white breast/underparts (too buffy & black-edged for Collared) &
peacock blue upperparts (Collared would have, in males & even less-so in
females, peacock blue wings but not so much on back/mantle). From my
observations up here in Cairns I find that at this time of year the arriving
Sacreds look like this individual photographed, wheres the Collareds which are
resident here, don't go through such a dramatic change in plumage appearance &
just look pretty similar to how they usually look all year, compared to
Sacreds. Much greater bill length/proportion, together with much larger size,
much greener & cleaner-white underparts (plus lores) helps to sort out the
Collareds from the Sacreds up here. Then the calls are very different as well.

I hope that this helps a little.

Cheers

Martin Cachard
Cairns