birding-aus

Perth Airport Birding, Kids lists and Northern Pintail

To: <>, <>
Subject: Perth Airport Birding, Kids lists and Northern Pintail
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 19:17:39 +1000

Hi Patrick,
that's an interesting question re keeping lists for little ones. I'm in two
minds about it, but have been thinking about it again recently having a 5 1/2
year old who is intermittently interested in birds and a 20 month old who is
crazy about them (his favourite book is a Steve Parish pocket book of birds and
the Birds of the Blue Mountains booklet comes a close second, followed by a
bird calendar). I wonder whether perhaps the list would be more for my benefit
than his, although the 5 year old would probably enjoy a list he could make
himself (with pictures/photos). I can't even keep my own life list up to date
so I think it would be a challenge for me.
I'm thinking of buying them an exercise book each and just writing in birds
they've seen and putting in pictures of birds they've seen really well with
some observations and details about the event - more like a diary than a bird
list per se. I'd be interested in other people's ideas.
I don't know how valid it is to make a list for a child before they turn three?
- they're just too young, and if they turn into birders who list (or even
twitchers!) .... shouldn't there be a rule that you can remember the bird?
Having said that, they would probably appreciate it at some point (when they're
30).
Cheers,
Arwen

Arwen Blackwood