birding-aus

Great Shearwater near St Helens, Tasmania

To: "" <>, Liz Znidersic <>
Subject: Great Shearwater near St Helens, Tasmania
From: Ian May <>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 08:13:47 +1000
g'Day all

Yesterday 06/03/2011 at about 0900 while on the way out to the continental shelf, a Great Shearwater (1) flying south about 5 nautical miles east of St Helens Point, Tasmania. The bird was solitary although there was a band of Short-tailed Shearwaters and two Buller's Albatross also flying south nearby. The distinctive GS passed close to the boat, not reacting to my presence and continued on. When I returned to the area on way back from the Hill, the sea breeze had sprung up and as I was in a dinghy, conditions were unsuitable to search further. Having another look this morning and will report back later.

Regards

Ian