birding-aus

[OB] Bronze-Cuckoos

To: 'Birding-aus' <>, John Penhallurick <>
Subject: [OB] Bronze-Cuckoos
From: Frank Rheindt <>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
Dear all,

Sorenson & Payne's tree chapter (in Payne 2005) depicts Chalcites and
Chrysococcyx as one monophyletic group, which renders any decision as to
generic boundaries subjective. With all probability, both treatments (a large
Chrysococcyx or a division into two) are correct and merely depend on one's
preference for genus size.

However, even though the branch lengths for both groups are pretty deep in that
tree, the branch support values are quite low, and the assumption of monophyly
of each group is thus not strong. In our deliberations about how to treat these
taxa for an upcoming book project, we therefore decided to play it safe and go
with an expanded Chrysococcyx. I believe the IOC Checklist leadership decided
to follow our judgment when this issue was last discussed (although I can't be
sure if they have meanwhile changed their treatment).

As for the minutillus complex, the amount of specimens of intermediate plumage
coloration is absolutely staggering if one goes by Payne's (2005) detailed
inspection of museum material, even in such well-defined taxa as crassirostris
that are usually afforded species rank. Surely the situation must be more
complex than hitherto assumed and has the potential of involving complicated
introgression patterns, as attested to by Leo Joseph's paper on the three AUS
taxa (Emu, in press). A study based solely on mtDNA (as in Sorenson & Payne)
would probably tell us a limited part of the story. For this reason, we have
decided in favor of a merger of all taxa into one polytpic species until more
detailed molecular results are available.

Best wishes,
Frank Rheindt

Frank E. Rheindt, PhD

Harvard University

Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology

MCZ, 5th Floor

26 Oxford St

Cambridge, MA 02138

U.S.A.