birding-aus

Leg Flagging scourge now in Tasmania

To: <>, Ian May <>
Subject: Leg Flagging scourge now in Tasmania
From: robert morris <>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 02:43:40 +0000

Guys
the scientific community (certainly internationally) do a huge amount of
research into the welfare of birds when various tagging techniques are used.
This has to be done before it is permitted, and has also driven technological
advances in making them smaller, lighter etc.. I have personal experiences of
this, working with incredibly dedicated research scientists who would always
put a bird's welfare first - and they led by example.
As a student in Oxford, I have used radio tags, satellite stage, radar
transponders etc, on birds and have not had an issue or fatality. Before
putting satellite tags on a particular species, I spent 3 months at Whipsnade
Zoo trialling techniques on captive birds. A vet who specialized in birds was
employed to look over the welfare of the captive birds on a continuous basis -
to look at potential future issues. The tags were a tiny fraction of the
overall body weight of the wild birds. They were attached to feathers and they
fell off after a year once the bird moulted. The information from an applied
conservation perspective was invaluable. The birds (which are endangered)
migrated from 1000s of kms and back without an apparent issue. The cost - some
stress for a bird while it was captured and handled for 30 minutes. Different
species react in different ways - some show obvious signs of stress -  but have
you guys seen the albatrosses plucked form the water and tagged on the Sandra
K? 5 mins later they are back behind the boat eating the free food!
If we are to have a debate about this - let's have an informed debate with
those who have an applied knowledge of how such research is undertaken, the
care shown, the stresses the birds endure etc.
I am not an advocate for ringing, banding, tagging etc. for no reason. But
there are good reasons why such projects occur and the vast majority that I am
aware of are undertaken in a very professional manner.
Rob Morris