birding-aus

Leg Flagging scurge now in Tasmania

To: "'Ian May'" <>, <>
Subject: Leg Flagging scurge now in Tasmania
From: "Steve" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 05:35:29 +1000
Hello Ian. A couple of points regarding you posting: Firstly, you do not
really explain how the birds were struggling. Were they having trouble
walking, feeding or flying? Have you considered that there may be a short
adjustment period while the birds become accustomed to the tag? I think
calling it a "manacle" is a bit emotive. Personally, I have seen hundreds of
flagged waders over the years, and I am yet to see one "struggling" in any
way because of a flag or band. Secondly, you do not really explain why you
think the public should be informed beforehand. I should imagine that to
publish when and where birds were going to be banded would lead to a
disastrous situation where dozens of onlookers would be adding to the stress
of the birds.
Steve Murray