birding-aus

RFI - Western Australia, mainly south west

Subject: RFI - Western Australia, mainly south west
From: Cheryl Ridge <>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 15:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi folks

We are at a loose end about what to do with some leave coming up
end of March (yes, soon!). I had wondered if Perth (fly/drive)
might be a good option, even though we would miss whales and
wildflower season.

I have had a quick look at Frank O'connor's site but to me it
is all just place names at the moment and I have no idea about
the roads/conditions (sealed versus unsealed etc).

We are not diehard "twitchers" but I do love nature/wildlife
photography and therefore would need to look at the
trip for general sightseeing as well as some birding!

Would love to hear people's thoughts on a sample itinerary
for 7-8 days. And some honest opinions on whether we would
need to hire a 4wd/camper to enable access to certain areas
or whether a normal small hire car + motels/cabins would be the
way to go. Hire companies don't seem to allow cars onto
unsealed roads??

In addition to Perth and south-west we would love to take
a drive to the Pinnacles Desert and Lake Thetis too.

Thanks in advance

Cheryl Ridge