birding-aus

Rare bird alert

To: Tom Tarrant <>
Subject: Rare bird alert
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:13:34 +1100
Tom,

I also feel very frustrated as well, but think the best thing we can do at the moment is donate to an organisation such as Red Cross, they are the experts in disaster relief. I know it is difficult to have to sit back and watch the terrible images but this is an unprecedented disaster and we have to rely on the authorities on the ground.

Before I retired, I was my department's Regional Emergency Management Officer and was also in the SES. When those reports and images started to come in via the media, my immediate thoughts were "where do you start with this mess?' The first stage, survivor rescue is virtually over. The next stage will be clean-up and body recovery, which will have to be done alongside repair of infrastructure such as utilities and transport systems. The Japanese Self Defence and Civil Defence Forces seem to be getting on top of the immediate problems of housing and feeding the survivors, though they are not being helped by the weather at the moment, with this cold snap. Heating the shelters must be a great problem.

We should really feel for those working on site. Burnout will be a real problem for those working at the pointy end. There is only so much emergency service personnel can take in a terrible situation like this.

What we can best do for the longer term is buy Japanese products and so support the Japanese economy and help the country get through.

As far as what we can do about the nuclear power stations, all I can suggest is pray that those 50 poor buggers who are trying to control the situation succeed. They are real heroes, as they are probably giving up their lives to do it

Carl Clifford