birding-aus

The Elusive "Mellow flea" (Malleefowl)

To: "John Tongue" <>, <>
Subject: The Elusive "Mellow flea" (Malleefowl)
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:14:09 -0000
John,

Your post made very interesting reading, having recently come back from a tour
round WA.

We were lucky enough to find our "Mellow Flea" on about the fourth day of our
trip crossing the tarmac road quite near Kalbarri village just beyond one of
the yellow signs. However, it was only a short view so we spent some time
trying to find another one without success.

We also noticed that the B&B at Fitzgerald River was up for sale - we had
pencilled that in as a possible location.

We did try a place you did not mention - Eremophila Park. Apparently there are
still Malleefowl there, and they are quite often seen, but they no longer come
regularly to the camp area where they used to be fed. We did not see one
despite a pretty extensive search.

As you say, they are a very difficult bird to pin down in the wild and an
opportunistic bird in the road seems the most likely way to see one.

Obviously there must be active mounds around - but they seem to be kept pretty
well secret!

Rosemary Royle
Wales, UK