birding-aus

Heavy bins (was Leica's warranty and customerservice)

To: "'Carl Clifford'" <>, "'Rosemary Royle'" <>
Subject: Heavy bins (was Leica's warranty and customerservice)
From: "Tony Russel" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:03:06 +1030
And men with low testosterone?

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Carl Clifford
Sent: Tuesday, 8 March 2011 11:40 PM
To: Rosemary Royle
Cc: Paul Taylor; Birding-aus
Subject: Heavy bins (was Leica's warranty and
customerservice)

Rosemary,

You have raised a a couple of good points for all female birders.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

On 08/03/2011, at 10:05 PM, Rosemary Royle wrote:

My husband has a non-elastic model (called Bino Suspenders with quick-
release clips) which he is very happy with and has had for ages. When
we first bought it (at the Rutland Bird Fair in the UK) we also tried
an elastic model which we felt seemed too "bouncy" when you walked and
did not really look up to the job.

These harnesses have not really caught on in the UK (presumably not
sufficiently macho) but they are very widely used in the US.

A word of warning for lady readers of this list - I do not use a
harness as I tried on two models and found that there was a distinctly
unfortunate location of the straps in relation to the female anatomy.
So it would be a good idea to "try before you buy".

My solution was to buy very lightweight bins - my Minox 8x30s are
extremely light and due to the development of technology probably give
as good a view as many much heavier 8x40s from 10 years ago.

Rosemary Royle
Wales, UK