birding-aus

new field guide

To: 'Michael Ramsey' <>, "" <>
Subject: new field guide
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 09:02:02 +1100
I guess what he has done there is fix some of the disadvantages of photography
over illustrations - the ability to have selected objects at any distance in
focus, and to have in one photo many birds that one couldn't expect to capture
in one shot.

He's also uses the extra space allowed by the web to show the same bird in many
poses. We don't often see a bird fom the rear in a field guide, either
traditional or with photos.

I think the scrolling page is nice, but not really necessary. He could just
break the scene into separate photos.

I think there's lots of potential with this approach, and I suppose this was an
inevitable development with the rapid increase in the number of people taking
photos of birds.

Peter Shute