birding-aus

Corellas at midnight

To: <>
Subject: Corellas at midnight
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:04:06 +1100
Interesting. I don't doubt you but wonder if the corellas were reacting
to the possible disturbance of the PO attacking one of the corellas, and
it or its partner raising the alarm. It seems curious that they would
react to a PO only by its call. Do they know the sound? But that is just
my ideas.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Allan
Richardson
Sent: Thursday, 24 February 2011 7:02 PM        To: Troy Mutton Cc:
       Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Corellas at
midnight?

We had large numbers of Corellas, both Little and Long-billed, roosting
next door for a short period. One night there came the chilling (to a
roosting Corella) call of a Powerful Owl. Have you ever heard the
reaction of roosting birds to a Powerful Owl call? They give short alarm
calls that leave you in no doubt that it is a fearful sound to them. I
suggest that not all Powerful Owls announce their presence by a call and
an attack would certainly put the flock to the air in the middle of the
night. An inadvertent fright due to the presence of a possum may also
send a panic through a flock of high roosting birds perhaps???

Regards

Allan