birding-aus

CI & CK 2010/11 vagrants

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: CI & CK 2010/11 vagrants
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:56:20 +1100
Hi all,

Following on from Rohan’s email adding the Indian Cuckoo to the list for
Cocos Keeling I thought that I would go back over the reports for the last
couple of months and see what had been reported.

David James and Richard Baxter arrived on the islands, each with a birding
group, on 27th of November and stayed for about 2 weeks each. David’s group
started on Cocos Keeling and Richard’s group started on Christmas Island,
and both parties overlapped on CK for a day in the middle. Since then Adrian
Boyle and Mike Carter, Rohan Clarke et al visited from 28th December
to 4thJanuary and Peter Marsh et al visited from 22
nd January to 1st February. Lisa Preston is resident on CI and has added
some birds and there is another group on the islands now, or very soon.
Richard Baxter will be back on the islands in March.

The resulting list shows that there has been a staggering number of vagrants
arriving at the islands between 27th November 2010 and 1st of February 2011.
Over little more than 2 months there have been approximately 22 vagrants
identified, many of them firsts for the islands, and a large handful more
(10 +/-) have been seen but not fully identified.

I may have missed one or two from the list, especially the ones not
identified fully, as the list is drawn from multiple reports. And I have not
named all who saw the birds, just enough to indicate approx when they were
seen. The list is in no particular order, it is just as I found the birds on
the original submissions to B-A etc. It does not include the half dozen or
so “vagrants” that are so regular, or seasonally regular, that they are no
longer really vagrants, such as Asian Koel, Western Reef Egret, Saunder’s
Tern, Eastern Yellow Wagtail, Grey Wagtail etc.

Schrenck's Bittern:  Richard Baxter et al

Mossy-nest Swiftlet:  Richard Baxter et al

Asian House Martin:  Richard Baxter et al

Yellow Bittern:  David James et al; Richard Baxter et al

Japanese Sparrow-hawk:  Richard Baxter et al

Chinese Goshawk:  Richard Baxter et al

Large Hawk-cuckoo:  Richard Baxter et al

Hodgson’s Hawk-cuckoo:  Mike Carter et al; Richard Baxter et al

Pintailed Snipe:  Richard Baxter et al

Common Redshank:  Richard Baxter et al

Purple-backed Starling:  Richard Baxter et al

Watercock:  David James et al;  Richard Baxter et al

Common Teal:  Richard Baxter et al

Cinnamon Bittern:  Mike Carter et al

Common Snipe (possible):  Mike Carter et al

Pied Harrier (possible):  Mike Carter et al

Harrier on C. I. (unidentified):  C. I local ranger via Lisa Preston; Peter
Marsh et al

Large raptor on CK;  Mike Carter et al; Richard Baxter et al (possibly 2
different species).

Large Raptor on CI: found by local ranger at time of visit by Richard Baxter
et al

Red Collared-dove: David James et al;  Mike Carter et al

Eurasian Hobby: David James et al;  Mike Carter et al

Asian Brown Flycatcher:  Adrian Boyle et al

Indian Cuckoo:  Rohan Clarke et al

Cattle Egret (sp):  Peter Marsh et al

“Black passerine”:  Peter Marsh et al

“small bittern/heron (unidentified):  Peter Marsh et al

Oriental Reed-warbler: Lisa Preston;  Peter Marsh et al

Malaysian Night Heron:  Mike Carter et al; Lisa Preston

European Roller:  Mike Carter et al

Warbler (sp):  David James

Jouanin’s Petrel:  Richard Baxter et al (off Horsborough Is., maybe
seasonally resident or migrant)

Matsudaira’s Storm-petrel: Richard Baxter et al (off Horsborough Is.,
possibly seen by one person but not confirmed. Just called, well after the
event, as a “small bird, like a storm-petrel”)

I guess there are two possibilities for this surge in vagrants, either there
are more birds moving around due to current weather patterns or other
natural events, or there are more bird watchers looking for them. Perhaps it
is a combination of the two. Whichever is the case it has been a great time
on the islands and it will be interesting to see what comes up in the next
month or so.

And further down the track, will the “event” occur again in November to
February 2011/2012?

It would also be interesting to hear if there are more vagrants showing up
in the last few months on the west coasts of Java, Sumatra and Malaysia.

Cheers

Jenny