birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 14 Feb 2011 01:31:01 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Feb 2011.

Fri 11 Feb Black Falcon Shingleback Rd. Dublin, SA
Very wary, as I opened car door slightly to photograph it, the bird flew off and was observed 'hovering' (not unlike a Kestrel, with tail slightly fanned) above stand of bluebush in adjacent paddock. Note; this is the second time I have flushed what I believe to be the same bird from the bare branches atop a small Eucalypt, 500m (approx.) south of Dublin (1).
David Hartland

Thu 10 Feb Little Bittern Martin's Bend wetland, near Berri, SA
Following report of a possible Little Bittern calling on Monday at this usually dry, now inundated floodplain / wetland on the Murray river near Berri, we went to check out the site by kayak and almost immediately after arriving at the site heard the bird calling. After struggling through dense reeds we got to within 5 meters of it calling and Helga obtained reasonable views of the bird.
Peter Waanders, Helga Kieskamp

Mon 7 Feb Latham's Snipe Milang 10' Cell
(at Snipe Sanctuary, opp. main street shops, Milang) flushed from approx. 4 metres from hide, gave one 'ripping paper' call and flew a short distance before dropping into small clearing in samphire, stood very briefly to check me out once more before slinking back amongst thick cover. Did not reappear. (1).
David Hartland

Sat 5 Feb Regent Parrot Cadell Primary School Oval
UPDATE: see list notes.
David Hartland, John Owen and Georgina Owen

White-fronted Chat Brookfield Conservation Park
feeding on road along with Sthn. Whiteface, caused me to initally confuse them for Banded WF's without bin's, better views revealed otherwise! (2).
David Hartland, John Owen and Georgina Owen

Brown Quail Greenfields Wetlands, Dry Creek
single bird flushed from edge of water on the eastern side of the small footbridge just south of hide, flew towards Origin plant at just above head height giving a good view (1).
David Hartland, John Owen and Georgina Owen

Fri 4 Feb Pacific Golden Plover Thompson Beach
great views of single bird, standing with small group of 4 Grey Plovers which made the bird 'obvious', very nice views at this time of afternoon. (1).
David Hartland, John Owen and Georgina Owen

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.