birding-aus

Wandering Tattler

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Wandering Tattler
From: "Mark and Amanda Young" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:54:30 +1100
G'day everyone,

It's clear to me that I have made a grave mistake in my reporting of the
current Wandering Tattler. As it has been pointed out to me by a couple of
people that by my ignorant and selfish actions in not reporting this bird
back in January when I first saw it, that I have indeed done the wrong thing
and have denied people the opportunity to add a tick to their list. I
apologise to those who have taken offense at my ignorance and my inability
to quickly differentiate one species to another. I may justify my cause a
little by stating that less than a week after my first sightings my wife and
I welcomed our first child into the world and I was somewhat pre-occupied
with other matters, but that would seem self indulgent.

You may or may not remember but it was I that first saw and reported the
Ruff at Pitt Town Lagoon in Jan last year, and then the Black Noddy in April
of last year to this list and Eremaea. Both of those birds caused joy for a
lot of people and the ability to tick a new species in the Sydney region,
myself included. But the downside to both of those was hearing reports of
birders trampling all over Pitt Town Lagoon with little care for the other
birds there, and then seeing it happen again at Long Reef as people did so
to see the Noddy. It appears that this may happen again now with the
Wandering Tattler. And now is a very critical time as the shorebirds start
to build up reserves for the long flight northward.

Needless to say that I am concerned that the other birds at the reef aren't
disturbed at all by people who wish to tick the Tattler. Being told that
I've done the wrong thing in not coming forward with news of this bird
earlier by people in the birding community who seem to have a reputation,
annoys me somewhat.

As far as any future reporting's of rare or exciting finds go at the reef, I
will continue to do so at this location, but only publicly once the bird has
left the reef. I will report them when found to those individuals whose care
and monitoring of Long Reef as an important shorebird habitat warrants it.
The rest can rest peacefully knowing that I will not upset them any longer
with anymore reports of rarely seen birds at Long Reef.

Regards,

Mark