birding-aus

Kingfisher Park BL and Cyclone Yasi

Subject: Kingfisher Park BL and Cyclone Yasi
From: sootyowl <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 17:14:10 +1000
Hi Folks,
Thanks to everyone who was concerned about our welfare. We have just got the
phone, internet access and power on this afternoon. Unfortunately our main
computer protested at being idle for five days and blew the power supply when
switched on. Anyway the last days since the cyclone have been spent clearing up
vegetation, a job which will keep us busy for another week at least. We were
also flooded in when 180mm of rain was dumped on us the day after Cyclone Yasi
followed by another 285mm the next day and those of you that know our orchard
area can imagine what it looked like with 2+m of water flowing through it. Our
water pump by Bushy Creek went under so we will have to fit the backup. Luckily
none of our buildings were damaged so we are still open! We were lucky and our
thoughts go out to those not so lucky between Innisfail and Cardwell.

Hopefully later in the week we can get our computer fixed and post a more
informative report with some photos onto our blog.

The birds are carrying on as though nothing happened and it is nice to sit in
the office watching baby Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfishers being fed by their
parents as well as two juvenile Noisy Pitta also being fed by their parents.

Thanks again everyone.

Keith & Lindsay Fisher
Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
Julatten, Far North Queensland