birding-aus

request for help with pictures from 2008

Subject: request for help with pictures from 2008
From: Katrina Knight <>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 21:43:18 -0500
Hello,
Not quite two years ago I spent four weeks in Australia starting in late February. It was a wonderful trip. I saw 270+ species of birds that I managed to identify (plus more that I unfortunately couldn't identify) and took several thousand pictures. Several months ago I let myself be persuaded to say I'd do a program about some of that trip for our local bird club. In the process of sorting through my pictures to pick out the ones I want to use for the program, I've realized that I never got around to asking about the ones with birds I can't identify, mostly relatively non-descript brown and gray birds. So, if anyone feels like playing "identify that bird", I'd appreciate some help.

My bird pictures from that trip are here: <http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/show.dml?id=732187> I'd be happy for any corrections or comments about any of them, but in specific, the ones I really want help with are as follows.

I saw this one in Katoomba, NSW. I saw what seemed to be the same species in at least two or three different places. It was medium-sized, mostly brown with a scaly-looking breast and otherwise fairly non-descript. <http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=10081020#bigimg> and <http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=92949781#bigimg> .

This little brown bird was also in Katoomba, in Blue Mountains National Park, in the forest along a small stream.
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=10081023>

Another little brown bird, this one at Mt Hypipanee in Queensland. Maybe a Brown Thornbill? (The thornbills gave me trouble. I saw plenty of them, but identifying them without help was problematic.)
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=9885352#bigimg>

Another little bird in the same general location.
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=9885369#bigimg>

And a third.
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=9885326#bigimg>

This one was in a forest at Mt Field National Park in Tasmania. It seemed to be all brown with orangish legs & feet. (There are some white spotches that are probably issues with the camera's reaction to uneven lighting, rather than actual white markings on the bird.)
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=12386238>

Moving on to gray birds, this one was at Eaglehawk Neck in Tasmania
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=12031241#bigimg>
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=12031261#bigimg>

As was this one
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=12031188#bigimg>

This one was at Peter Murrell Reserve in Tasmania (I think these are both the same individual but I'm not completely sure.)
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=92946251#bigimg>
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=92946251#bigimg>

This plover was on a beach at Cape Tribulation in far northern Queensland
<http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=10646920>

And finally, anyone who can figure out what this blurry bird in the Curtain Fig in Yungaburra, Queensland is wins the grand prize of my little bird ID game. It was small, all brown as far as I could tell and had pinkish legs and feet. It did a lot of flitting around and was almost certainly not the same as any other bird I saw on the trip. Unfortunately, this has to be one of the worst bird pictures ever. The head isn't visible at all, just the legs and rear. <http://my.opera.com/kknight/albums/showpic.dml?album=732187&picture=9885328>

Thanks to anyone who can provide some help.

--
Katrina Knight

Reading, PA, USA