birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 7 Feb 2011 01:30:16 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 6 Feb 2011.

Sun 6 Feb Bridled Tern Alice Springs, Northern Territory
Details to follow. The bird is at my house and is in bad shape.
Chris Watson

Fri 4 Feb Japanese and Chinese Sparrowhawk, Asian Koel, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Watercock etc Cocos Islands, Cocos-Keeling Islands
Japanese Sparrowhawk – two definite (immature female and adult) and one very probable (adult male) on West Island; Chinese Sparrowhawk – 1 adult on West Island; Asian Koel – a male and female on Home Island; Asian Brown Flycatcher – one on West Island (new bird for Cocos and first record for any Australian territory away from Ashmore Reef); Saunders Tern – 10 on South Island; Common Teal – the long staying bird is still present on West Island; Watercock – at least 6 brown birds along the edge of the airstrip on West Island; Dollarbird – one on West Island.
Per Adrian Boyle

Mon 31 Jan Black Swan Leaning Tree Lagoon, near Marrakai, NT, Northern Territory
A lone swan was at the lagoon on Monday.
Mike Jarvis

Radjah Shelduck Carr's Creek, Grafton, New South Wales
A pair of Radjah Shelducks was first observed at a grazing property at Carrs Creek, Grafton by Wendy McDonald on Saturday January 29. I visited the site with Warren Thompson, Russell Jago and Maree Davis on Monday January 31 and viewed and photographed. The site is through a locked gate on private property so if anyone wishes to view them they should contact me. I think that this is the third recent record for NSW.
Greg Clancy

Sun 30 Jan Tawny Grassbird Ilparpa Swamp, Northern Territory
A population of Tawny Grassbirds has established itself at Ilparpa Swamp, immediately south of the sewerage ponds. I spotted at least 8 individuals and managed a few photos. No atlas record of these birds within 1000 km of Alice Springs.
Michael Green

Sun 23 Jan Bourkes Parrot Stuart Highway approx 90 km south of Kulgera, South Australia
At a rough guess 50 birds but quite likely more coming in to drink in gravel pit from 8.40-9pm. In dim light could make out 30+ birds on ground by water at same time - seen from about 15m away. A fair few others others flying and in vegetation judging by calls.
Jim Allen

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.