birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 00:05:03 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, January 31, 2011 to Sunday, February 6, 2011:

Area: SA

Date: Monday, January 31, 2011

Location: Milang

Banded Lapwing (Vanellus tricolor) (35+) Large gathering in the almost-dry
Richmore Road wetland,feeding on the exposed mud and in surrounding paddocks.

Latham's Snipe (Gallinago hardwickii) (1) Single bird flushed at the Milang
Snipe Sanctuary,near the track to the left of the birdhide.

Reported by: Nathaniel Doecke on Monday, January 31, 2011

Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Location: In our garden in 3rd Ave, St Peters

Mistletoebird (Dicaeum hirundinaceum) (1) A single male landed in our dead plum
tree then flew into a tall Hakea (where there is a large mistletoe), then
vanished. We have kept the large and rather unsightly dead tree as it is a
staging post for many birds. Being leafless, they can't hide. THis is only the
2nd sighting of a mistletoebird in our garden, the previous being in January
2009.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Tuesday, February 1, 2011