birding-aus

Swinhoe's Snipe in Yungaburra, Atherton Tablelands, Qld

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Swinhoe's Snipe in Yungaburra, Atherton Tablelands, Qld
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:36:49 +1000
Greetings,
Taking a break from cyclone prep., I can report that there are Swinhoe's Snipe
in the paddock below my house. Normally there is a small wetland at the bottom
of the paddock but since all the rains of last year and despite two dry weeks,
more than half the paddock is boggy. This makes 193 species for the home block
list and the first since 12/08/09. There are Latham's snipe there also. I
suspect these are heading back north as they largely (but not totally)
disappear from the district around Christmas.

I'll have to look outside during the eye of the cyclone as a friend saw frigate
birds go over on Christmas day.

Rest over, back to work.
Alan