birding-aus

Nightbirds Bobbin Head, Kuringai Chase NP Sydney

Subject: Nightbirds Bobbin Head, Kuringai Chase NP Sydney
From: KURTIS LINDSAY <>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:54:32 +1100
Hello all,

For whoever is interested, I heard what I thought were Masked Owls
screeching on the hill slopes adjacent Bobbin Head picnic ground tonight at
approximately 9:30pm. The calls were infrequent, but the culprit replied
when I copied them. The screeches may have been Barn Owls (the environment
was not unfavourable) but definitely not Flying Foxes, Brush-tail Possums or
other owl (Ninox) species.

Also heard an Owlet Nightjar chirping every now and then and a 'snipe-like
shriek' coming from a small bird flying over head in the dark...perhaps it
was a Lathams Snipe?

Did not check for White-throated Nightjars at the nearby Sphinx walking
track.

Bobbin head picnic ground is an open reserve which lies in the middle of
Ku-rin-gai Chase National Park, near North Turramurra, Sydney. The grounds
are flanked by sandstone gully forest and mangroves.

Regards,

Kurtis Lindsay

--
*Mr Kurtis J. Lindsay