birding-aus

Gull behaviour in eastern Florida

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Gull behaviour in eastern Florida
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:36:36 +1000
Greetings,
A friend in the states asked me about this behaviour, "Saw some interesting
behavior I've never seen before.  There were several ring-billed gulls, not our
largest but fairly large birds, out in one of the shallow lagoons.  They were
standing in less than an inch of water.  Several of them put their heads down,
bills out in front in the water, and walked back and forth plowing through the
mud.  They'd walk 6-8 feet (2 meters) stop, stand up, shake their heads, turn
around, and walk back again the same way.  I've never seen gulls do that
before. I suppose they were trying to feed, but on what?  Usually they eat
larger stuff than little mud bugs.  Oh well, chalk another new thing up to
birds that don't read the books about them!." What would I know, I'm an upland
rainforest birder. If you have any ideas that would be good.
Thanks,
Alan