birding-aus

Vic floods and Brolga nest

To: <>
Subject: Vic floods and Brolga nest
From: "Simon and Alex Starr" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:25:55 +1100
Hi all,

A few days ago, before the big rains in northern Vic started, a local
landholder arrived at my place and wanted to show me something.  We drove off
through his paddocks, alongside the dry ( at that stage) Calivil creek, and
there was a Brolga tending its nest. The nest was about 20 metres from the
creek bank, on dry,flat salty ground.  The nest itself was a mound of grasses,
but not very high, and the grasses used were just dry barley grass stalks.  One
large egg sat in the middle, perched maybe 6 inches above the ground.
I have never seen a Brolga nest on dry ground before, and I left wondering
whether the bird knew something was coming.
The events of the last week here have been nothing short of remarkable. We
recorded 7 inches of rain here near Pyramid Hill, but over 200mms has fallen
over a large portion of the Loddon,Wimmera,Campaspe and Avoca catchments.  Much
of the flat country here is under water. The drains are slowly doing their job
but it will take a while. The flood peaks on the rivers are reaching us or have
just passed and continue to head north.
The Calivil creek where our Brolga friend had decided to nest has certainly
flooded.  In places it is 200 metres wide, and the centre is roaring along.
The nest will have surely been washed away, however the Brolga perhaps just
underestimated quite how much rain was coming !!!   They definately knew
something :-)

Last night I spent a few hours wading around inside the historic Durham Ox inn
moving 1000's of dollars worth of antique furniture to higher positions.  In
this part of the world at least, we currently have a flood equivalent or
greater than 1956.  Many people I know are currently isolated.  Wading into
their houses because they cant drive in, etc.
Most roads are cut, including most of the major ones.  When Echuca goes under
later today it will become impossible for me to get to Melbourne by car !!!
The train still goes though.

Since the rain there has been an influx of Dragonflies ( no doubt migrated
here).  I hope that the same is true of the birdlife, but due to access issues
I haven't had a chance to check.My first Budgies for home this summer flew past
yesterday.
A small wetland on the Calivil creek which had 10 foot high cumbungi full of
singing reed warblers, now has just 3 ft or so of cumbungi poking up above the
water's  surface ( some seed heads are visible, some are under).  The Reed
Warblers are still there, and singing as much as ever. They are now using their
top floor apartments.

Both the mosquitos and the frog noise has multiplied since the rain.  Many
ground dwelling insects are clinging to stalks waiting for it to subside.
Clusters of ants cling on, and skinks swim around from one dry island to
another.

It remains to be seen how far north the various rivers will make it.  THe
Loddon flows into the Murray, but the Avoca does not... I'm hoping the floodway
next to Lake Tutchewop north of Kerang will flood this time. Its an exciting
place to go birding.
And maybe the Wimmera river will make it into Wyperfeld NP...... I'm crossing
my fingers for that one.

Best wishes to all who are affected by these floods across the country.

Simon Starr,
Pyramid Hill,
Victoria.