birding-aus

Re: Olive-backed Oriole Behaviour

Subject: Re: Olive-backed Oriole Behaviour
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:54:14 +1100
Hi Mark,
That looks like typical sunning behaviour, as you suggested.
Here is a site that offers some explanations
http://birding.about.com/od/birdbehavior/a/Bird-Sunning.htm
Your photos and videos are really great.
Cheers,
Merrilyn

On 15/01/2011 10:07 AM, Mark and Amanda Young wrote:
G'day everyone,

I watched an Olive-backed Oriole displaying, if that's the right term,
itself yesterday that I hadn't seen before and was hoping that someone here
could offer some opinion as to what exactly the bird was doing.

The bird was perched on a branch in the sun about 1 meter above the ground.
The bird would fan out its tail and hold its wing  that was facing the sun
downwards. It would do this for a short period and occasionally swap sides
to repeat the process with the other wing. The bird looked a bit
dishevelled, for want of a better word, whilst it was doing this.

At the time I remembered the previous conversations I've read here about
other birds sunning themselves and thought this maybe what this bird was
doing. The bird didn't look wet so I don't think it was drying itself out
after a bath, but I could be mistaken.

I've uploaded an image to here: http://bit.ly/gGRMNe

And you can see a short video of this bird here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79uzrWvmJxU

Or alternatively I've written put images and video on my blog at
http://myoungbirding.blogspot.com/

Any thoughts on what the bird is doing would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark