birding-aus

Why call them Vagrant?

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Why call them Vagrant?
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:15:32 +1100
Dear All,

For years I have wandered in my wonderings to the subject of why do we call "foreign" birds that wander into Australian Territories "Vagrant"? These species almost invariably have been wind or ship assisted in their arrival in Australia. Vagrant, I associate with dishevelled men wearing gabardine coats and an aroma of tup'penny dark, having had many clients of their ilk. These clients had just been given the title of "Vagrant", by the courts under the Vagrancy Act.

The behaviour of the birds we call "Vagrant" are not vagrant, they are not wandering from place to place, they have arrived here not by their own volition, but by chance. If any birds earn the title, it is those such as the Albatross and Penguins.

Perhaps we should call these accidental arrivals just that, Accidental. Visitor is another option, though some for various reasons, do not leave.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford