birding-aus

Recent Australia trip - the West, South and Tasmania

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Recent Australia trip - the West, South and Tasmania
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:39:44 -0000
I have just finished my trip report for our recent very successful 10 week trip
to the West, South and Tasmania - I will post it on Birdtours.co.uk and will
let you know when it is there. If anyone wants to see it before that I can
email it.

I am hoping you may be able to help with a mystery whistler which we saw along
the Honeymoon Hut track in Murray-Sunset NP a couple of kms westwards from the
junction with the Meridian Track.The date was 19th Nov 2010.

I first heard it calling as we were driving slowly along with the window down -
it sounded exactly like the soundtrack of Red Lored Whistler which I had been
listening to from the David Stuart CD, with the very curious "two notes at the
same time" effect. We screeched to a halt and there was the bird right in front
of us on a branch close to the track. I was elated until we looked at the bird
through binoculars - it was all plain grey except for faint rufous shading on
the vent. No red lores or even throat. The bird was surprisingly tame - it
circled our van as we watched from inside. It then changed its song to
something that sounded just like a Gilbert's Whistler - "chop chop chop chop".
We had really close views but were completely puzzled.

What was it? The habitat looked wrong for Gilbert's (in our limited experience
of seeing them at Gluepot and Hattah-Kulkyne) - low scruffy mallee and no
taller trees or pines. During the rest of our time there we did not see any
Gilbert's only Rufous - so was this bird actually a Red-Lored? If it was a
juvenile how come it was singing? Are there Gilbert's Whistlers here?? What do
you think??

A couple of other things which we thought were interesting - we found a few
birds either at the very edge of or outside the ranges described in our books
(Slater and Pizzey and Knight) as follows:

Little Friarbird - A bird at Morgan Conservation Park would appear to be right
on the western edge of its range.

Dollarbird We were surprised to find one of these cackling from the treetops at
Hattah-Kulkyne - somewhat out of range but no doubt attracted by the water and
the dragonflies

Superb Fairy-wren We were surprised to find this bird singing around our van at
Coffin Bay on the Eyre Peninsula which is out of range according to our books.

Any comments??

Yours confusedly

Rosemary Royle
Wales, UK