birding-aus

Pied Imperial Pigeon Unusual Nesting Record

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Pied Imperial Pigeon Unusual Nesting Record
From: Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge <>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:03:23 +1000
Hi Folks,
We have a pair of Pied Imperial Pigeon nesting in Geraghty Park, adjacent to Kingfisher Park BL, Far North Queensland, which is quite unusual so far inland (nearly 20km from the coast) and at 450m ASL. We cannot find any information about inland breeding and local birders don't know of any records. HANZAB does not have any records but this volume is a few years old now. The birds finished the nest last week and are now sitting. Up until last year it was very unusual to see PIPs here in Julatten at all but last year we had an influx of day visitors and a few staying around. This year we have only seen a few. Interestingly Phil at Cassowary House in Kuranda which is only 7.5km from the coast has never seen PIPS at his place. Does anyone know of any inland and altitudinal records?

Regards,
Keith & Lindsay.

--
    Keith&  Lindsay Fisher
    Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge

Winner: Wet Tropics 2010 Cassowary Award for Nature Based Tourism