birding-aus

Cassowary tragedy response

To: <>
Subject: Cassowary tragedy response
From: "Andrew Thelander" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 17:32:31 +1000
Hello again

The Cairns Post has reported that, as a result of the tragic death of a male
cassowary caught in a pig trap recently, all pig trapping in cassowary
habitat in Mission Beach has been suspended.

The 2 chicks that were with the male are in care with the Dept of
Environment.  I hope that the Dept allocates all the resources necessary to
have these chicks raised in a manner that might allow them to be
rehabilitated back into the wild.  If the Dept can't do this, maybe the
chicks should be released to wildlife carers who are prepared to make the
necessary effort e.g. collecting wild foods for them etc.  Such people do
exist (and where would we be without them?).

Happy New Year to all!

Andrew