birding-aus

White-winged Black Terns, SEQld correction

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: White-winged Black Terns, SEQld correction
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:21:44 +1000
Apologies, I said below we had 14 WWTE, but that was on the low tide. On the high tide we had 186. The high tide was in the morning.

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

26° 51' 41"S  152° 56' 00"E

On 23/12/2010 1:24 PM, Jill Dening wrote:
Hi All,

It just occurred to me that every year about this time I get enquiries
from people about to go on holidays and wanting to know where to see
their first White-winged Black Tern. So perhaps it's timely to copy an
answer I gave this week.

"They are around, but so far I haven't seen them on any on the
freshwater bodies around my region. We had 14 of them in our December
survey in Noosa estuary, in mixed flocks with Commons (the majority) and
Littles. People have a lot of difficulty sorting them out. If you look
at them in a flock of commons and littles, they are midway in size
between the two, and are the ones with the mohawk haircut. Sideways they
look as though they are wearing earphones.

WWTE are underrepresented in the daytime flocks in the estuaries,
because of their habit of staying out at sea during the day, and only
coming in at last light to roost overnight. During the day it's hit and
miss.

I did a Caloundra survey this week, and saw no WWTE, only Commons. Same
at Currimundi Lake (marine). I haven't been in Maroochydore in the past
few weeks, but they do go there. Noosa is more likely. You'll probably
need a kayak or boat to get close enough to id them. I haven't been out
to the Lake Atkinson, but yes, they do occur there. They also come to
Ewan Maddock Dam at Landsborough, but so far I don't think any have been
there this season.

We see them in almost full breeding plumage before they leave, but when
I look at pics taken in the northern hemisphere, I know we never see the
full deal.

I can send a full size pic (so you can zoom in and get definition) of a
mixed flock in Caloundra - northern tip of Bribie Is - in December a
couple of years ago. There are quite a lot of WWTE in this pic. "

If anyone wants a look at the pic, just email me privately.

On the subject of Noosa, it's possible to drive and not take a boat, if
the terns are using the north spit. You can check this from Noosa Woods
on the south side before you set out. You take the barge across the
Noosa River at Tewantin ($6 each way), take the Wallaby Track to bring
you out on the north shore, follow the track as it deteriorates until
you are at the beach. There you park and walk down the beach a few
hundred metres until you are on the north spit. I have never seen the
final bit of track impassable to 2WD, but then, there has been a great
deal of rain lately, so be careful. It is illegal to drive onto the
north spit, or to take a dog.

Be aware that as you approach a flock of terns, they don't behave like
waders. Waders run away, but terns lift and fly off, so you might find
yourself alone on the spit if you aren't careful. The signal from an
uncomfortable tern is a wing-spread, as if they are stretching. If you
back off at that point, they may stay.

Cheers,

Jill