birding-aus

Leica New Digital Binoculars - name?

To: Nathan Waugh <>
Subject: Leica New Digital Binoculars - name?
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:58:28 +1100
Hi Nathan,

Unfortunately the Leica Geovid Lux 8x56 is voice only communication.
Also by using light (light wave radio as Leica calls it) the carrier (similar to most remote controls), I don't know how it would go in wooded or hilly country. I think you might be better buying a pair of handheld CB radios. You would get quite a bit of change from $9000
doing that. I have pasted below the relevant section from Leica's
press release from January '09.

LEICA GEOVID LUX 8x56 binoculars: the lightwave telephone
No pie in the sky: The LEICA GEOVID LUX 8x56 combines precise optics
with efficient
lightwave radio. A small electronics unit on the housing and a
sophisticated system of prisms
inside enable a totally new form of audiovisual communication. Besides viewing distant objects, the user of these binoculars can also talk to other binocular users via a headset.
Using light waves, the LightSpeed technology transmits voices in the
field of view of the
binoculars up to a distance of 2.5 kilometers – crystal-clear, without any interference, day and night. Even data such as text or images can be fed in via the USB port and transmitted at a
rate of up to 1 Mbps. The development has evolved from a cooperation
arrangement with the
well-known electronics development company Torrey Pines Logic from
California/USA.
This form of tap-proof communication offers special police and
military units a wealth of
tactical advantages. The extremely compact yet powerful LEICA GEOVID
LUX 8x56 has further
application potential in hunting, industry and rescue services.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford