birding-aus

Causing the death of tern chicks for photography.

To: Alan Gillanders <>, michael wood <>, <>
Subject: Causing the death of tern chicks for photography.
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:43:31 +1000
Not quite in the same class but heading in that direction.

I wonder if there are any other birding-ausers as old as I am who can
remember the photographer/author of many decades ago who got some really
spectacular photos of native birds at the nest.   By a rather reprehensible
technique.

Would find a nest with young.  Set up his camera focussed on the nest.  Then
stood near the nest blocking the parents bringing food to the chicks ...
until they were frantic.  He then moved away and got a photo with both
parents at the nest.

Syd