birding-aus

RFI South coast of NSW

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI South coast of NSW
From: David Adams <>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:11:23 +1100
Two requests for info about birding around Bermagui in one day has to
be a record ;-) Hopefully, Barbara Jones will have a chance to
respond. In any case, people should be aware of a local bird site
guide for the Bega Valley Shire called "Birdwatching on the Far South
Coast." For a local bird club, it's a remarkable production - up to
the standards of regional site guides around Australia. Apart from the
useful site descriptions (with mud maps), the guide also includes a
detailed, annotated bird list. The list is based on a couple of
decades of observation data that Barabara has been collecting from
people around the shire, I believe.  I've got no stake in the guide, I
just really like site guides in general and this one in particular.
The local visitor's centers in the area usually stock it or it's
available by mail order.

http://www.thebegavalley.org.au/birdwatchers.html

There are heaps of great birding locations around here, to be sure. I
saw Hooded Plovers at Wallaga Lake Heights two days ago. I haven't
heard a lot of unusual parrots or many Channel Bills lately, but
Barbara would know best. The Long Swamp (across from Fairhaven north
of Bermagui) had at least one Musk Duck not long back, always a treat.
The Musk Ducks were there for a full season the last time there was
water in the Long Swamp a few years back. I've seen less raptor
activity than normal but that may just be me.