birding-aus

Birding sites near Barragga Bay beach?

To: Manu Tours <>
Subject: Birding sites near Barragga Bay beach?
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 18:24:36 +1000
Hi Tony,

My knowledge of the area for birding is limited - only in the past couple of years. I've got a holiday house not far north of Bermagui at Narooma.

Narooma is a good place to look at migratory waders from the access perspective, but I have only seen 3 species there consistently: Bar-tailed Godwit, Eastern Curlew and Red Knot, and I know those species won't set a Kiwi's heart on fire. Last time I was there (Oct) I saw a dead Little Penguin on nearby Bar Beach, so they must be around. I believe they breed on nearby Montague Island. At high tide the birds roost opposite the Narooma wharf on a stranded intertidal area, which can be accessed by road from the northern side of the bridge.

Wallaga Lake on the northern side of Bermagui is good for all sorts of waterbirds. Black Swans, herons, egrets, and on the beach there are Pied Oystercatchers, Hooded Plovers (careful, it's breeding season) and sometimes Little Terns, also possibly breeding.

On the northern side of Bermagui is Long Swamp. I can find it, but can't direct you, as all my maps, etc, are in the house. Ask the locals.

About 5km north of Narooma there is a forestry road (think it may be called Kianga Forestry Rd) heading west off the highway, which had plenty of birds in October. Get yourself a tourist map, and you will see that there is a round drive (good gravel road tracks west until it crosses the headwaters of Wagonga Inlet) bringing you back to the highway at the southern side of Narooma. There are several habitat types along that road. Don't miss the turnoff to the lookout, which is glorious on a good day.

Further north, Moruya has some good estuary birding sites, but it may be further north than you want to go. I hope someone with more local knowledge comes out of the woodwork to help you.

Cheers,

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

26° 51' 41"S  152° 56' 00"E