birding-aus

Re: Princess Parrot Trips Wrap-Up

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: Princess Parrot Trips Wrap-Up
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 21:45:32 +1100
Hi All,

The most recent posts regarding the Central Land Council endorsed visits to the Princess Parrot sites have prompted us to post of our experiences.

We (Brian Johnston, Andrew Silcocks and Rohan Clarke) were granted a special access permit through the Central Land Council in late August to visit traditional lands to observe the Princess Parrots. We were informed that our permit was granted simply because our application beat the rush by a number of days. Given the difficult situation that arose we chose not to actively publicise our good fortune at the time. The granting of the permit was mentioned in an early press release by the CLC
(http://www.clc.org.au/Media/releases/2010/parrot.html).

Over a period of three days we located many parrots at a number of sites including at least 15 active nests in one small area. One output from our visit was a 13 page report summarising our observations for the CLC, traditional owners and other interested parties. The nesting area that we located became the focus for repeat visits by conservation staff from the NT Department for Natural Resources, Environment, the Arts and Sport and we understand was also the principal site for the more recent guided visits. Our report also contained some recommendations regarding site protection/confidentiality, access/visits for birdwatchers and research directions. Since our visit we’ve continued to communicate with the CLC and NREATA. Although we were clearly not the only individuals to make representations on behalf of all birdwatchers we’d like to think that our involvement had a positive effect. For the record we are strong supporters of the access arrangements that were subsequently negotiated.

Another output from our visit is the Princess Parrot photo-spread in the current issue of the Birds Australia magazine Wingspan. If you haven’t seen this, a small selection of these and other Princess Parrot photographs are posted here…
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/princess_parrot

Cheers,
Rohan Clarke, Andrew Silcocks and Brian Johnston