birding-aus

NEW BIRD FOR AUSTRALIA ON COCOS TODAY

To: birding-aus <>, Moorhead Family <>, Mike Carter <>, Inger Vandyke <>, Lisa Preston <>
Subject: NEW BIRD FOR AUSTRALIA ON COCOS TODAY
From: Richard Baxter <>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 21:49:24 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,
            What a morning!  Our last full day on Cocos and it just keeps
getting better.

Jenny Spry and I arrived at the West Island wetlands at 5am this morning.  We
soon had the Chinese Goshawk seen previously in the week soaring overhead,
which was then joined by two possible JAPANESE SPARROWHAWK on the other side of
the water.  Both birds were photographed.

The real excitement was on the water.  We located and photographed a COMMON
TEAL paddling around with the Pacific Black Ducks.  A short time later the
Large Hawk Cuckoo put in a brief appearance as we were departing.

Yesterday afternoon whilst walking across Home Island we had both male and
female WATERCOCK.  After seeing a brown female cross the road in front of us a
stunning jet black male followed it into the bushes.

Our next tour is in March and with all the vagrants currently on both islands
it should be an awesome trip.  A few vacancies still remain.

Cheers
Richard Baxter
Birding Tours Australia
www.birdingtours.com.au